I've pedaled all over town for many different purposes this week, at least 50 miles total. Some trips have been short, some much longer. Some days have been sunny, others cloudy. I love the cloudy, breezy days because it's easier to keep cool even when I'm working up a sweat. I love the time I have on my bike to relax and ride, watch the scenery go by, and think about the beauty of the day. Here's a short summary of the week:
Where did I go?
* The farmers market, a bookstore, a bank, and a bakery
* Our CSA farm along the Sammamish River Trail
* Two libraries, the post office, another bank, and an office store
* The grocery store and a take-out restaurant
Who and what did I see?
* Two lakes, a winding river, and woodsy neighborhoods
* Geese, roosters, wildflowers, and a variety of gardens
* Friends, farmers, shoppers, and construction workers
* Families riding bikes and people walking side by side
What did I carry?
* A whole bunch of fruits and vegetables
* Books, bread, mail, printer ink, and paper
* Groceries for camping and dinner for the evening
One of the things I love most about riding my bike is the people I see. Sometimes I have chance meetings with friends when I'm outside a location like the library or the bakery, and they often notice me first because I'm on my bike. The red hair/Xtracycle combination probably helps. Also, when I stop in a store or at the farmers market, if I forget to take off my cycling gloves or I'm carrying my helmet, people strike up a conversation about bike riding. Clerks or other shoppers notice how much I'm carrying and wonder how I can carry it all on my bike. It's fun to tell them. Then of course, when anyone sees me with the bike and everything I'm carrying, they often do a double-take and inquire about it. I like this because it makes shopping and doing errands a friendly, people-centered activity instead of just something to get done. It's a good thing.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment