Monday, August 25, 2008

Building an Electric Bass

Electric bass guitars are cool. Especially those you build yourself! Don and Ben have spent a good part of the summer building an electric bass guitar together. They rock! They started a while back, planning and scheming and getting the process started, but most of the hands-on work was done this month, just in time for Ben to take it to camp.

Building a bass takes a lot of time. Hours and hours and hours. They worked on a design, made templates, and cut out all the pieces. They sanded and sanded, drilled holes, routed parts to fit together, sanded some more, and applied a beautiful finish. They pieced it together, soldered the electronics in place, and added all the pretty chrome parts. It's an amazing accomplishment. And so beautiful.


Body cut-out with holes drilled for the bridge and neck,
and neck-pocket routed

Fret board glued to the neck and tuner holes drilled

Test-fitting the neck and body

Test-fitting the bridge & tuners
to make sure the tuners line up with the bridge

Routing holes for pick-ups and electronic controls


Oooh...chrome!

Testing the fit for the bridge, pick-ups, and controls

All together now! Isn't it pretty?

After the teak oil finish
Ta daaa!

7 comments:

TD said...

Wow! Friggin' GORGEOUS!

Good work, guys!

Marcia said...

Thanks! It sounds pretty sweet, too. I'll let the guys know...

Anonymous said...

I want that! It's gorgeous - tell Don and Ben they did good.

Rae's mom

Marcia said...

Oh, this is fun! A new reader from Raechelle's blog! Hello Rae's mom!

Thanks for your admiring comments. I'll tell the guys. I don't think we'll be able to pry this bass away from Ben to give to you, though. Maybe they'll make another one...or lots of them!

TD said...

Do you think they'd build me a 6-string electric? And how much?

I would LOVE to have a custom-made electric...

Anonymous said...

We should talk about it, Todd. (After October, at earliest.) How much depends on what you want - wood and parts can be cheap or expensive.

You might think about building your own. I could recommend books, or help as needed. It's a lot of little steps, but no single step is very difficult. My first try was very playable.

OTOH, it's been said if you want to build a guitar, build one; if you just want to HAVE a guitar, have someone else build it.

Don

TD said...

Thanks for the reply, Don. I'm crafty, but not *that* crafty. If you want cool graphics to go ON the guitar, I'm your guy. But the actual guitar building, I'm a little leery of.

We'll talk whenever you have some time. My email is on my blog (right side). :-)